The Science and Engineering Apprenticeship Program (SEAP) places high school students in Department of Navy (DoN) laboratories where they take part in real Naval research for eight weeks during the summer.
SEAP gives academically talented sophomores, juniors, and seniors interested in STEM the opportunity to learn about Naval research and technology while receiving first-class mentoring by top scientists and engineers.
SEAP is a competitive program with around 300 placements in more than 30 laboratories around the country in which many participants go on to careers within the DoN. Interns are selected based upon academic achievement, personal statements, recommendations, and career and research interests.
How it works
SEAP places academically talented high school students with interest and ability in science and engineering as participants in Department of Navy laboratory research for eight weeks during the summer. Interns will be selected based upon academic achievement, personal statements, recommendations, and career and research interests.
Students Research and Choose Their Preferred Labs
Apply by the Deadline
Applications Closed for 2023
Applications Open August 1, 2023 for 2024
Labs Review Applications and Make Their Decisions
Award and Non-Award Letters are Sent Out
January 2023 - March 2023
Interns Get Ready for Their New Adventure!
2023 APPLICATIONS Progress
- High school students who have completed at least Grade 9 (See exceptions below)
- Must be currently enrolled in high school (but may be taking college level classes for college credit)
- Graduating seniors are eligible to apply
- Must be 16 years of age or older by the internship start date to participate (See exceptions below)
- Solely U.S. Citizens (See exceptions below)
- Students should check individual lab pages for eligibility as some labs make exceptions for the following:
- Grade minimum
- Age minimum
- Permanent Residents and Dual Citizens
The internship has a duration of eight weeks (with the possibility of extending up to two additional weeks). Stipend levels will be determined by the student's years of participation in SEAP and will be paid bi-weekly via direct deposit. Stipends are as follows:
- New participant: $4,000
- Returning participant: $4,500