The Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program (NREIP) places college and university students in Department of Navy (DoN) laboratories where they take part in real Naval research for ten weeks during the summer.
NREIP gives academically talented college students, graduating seniors, and graduate students pursuing STEM careers the opportunity to learn about Naval research and technology while receiving first-class mentoring by top scientists and engineers.
NREIP is a competitive program with over 800 placements in 51 laboratories around the country in which many participants go on to careers within the DoN. Interns are selected based upon academic achievement, personal statements, recommendations, and career and research interests.
How it works
NREIP places academically talented college and graduate students with interest and ability in science and engineering as participants in Department of Navy laboratory research for ten weeks during the summer. Interns will be selected based upon academic achievement, personal statements, recommendations, and career and research interests.
Students Research and Choose Their Preferred Labs
Apply by the Deadline
Applications Closed for 2024
Applications Open August 1, 2024 - November 1, 2024
Labs Review Applications and Make Their Decisions
Award and Non-Award Letters are Sent Out
January 2024 - March 2024
Interns Get Ready for Their New Adventure!
2024 APPLICATIONS Progress
Applicants must be:
- Enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year college or university (See below for exceptions)
- Solely U.S. Citizens (See exceptions below)
- On track to acquire a minimum of 31 credits by the start of the internship (Eligibility will be determined by the number of credits accrued by the end of the Spring semester before the internship start date)
- Students graduating the spring semester before the internship or later (Winter graduates are not eligible)
- Applicants should have demonstrated interest in subjects of study that are relevant to the research conducted by one or more of the laboratories in the program
- Students attending two-year colleges in relevant majors and who meet the credit requirements may be eligible at the laboratory's discretion. Those students should directly contact the laboratory of interest to determine eligibility
- Some labs make exceptions for Permanent Residents and Dual Citizens. Students should check individual lab pages for eligibility
- High school students taking college courses are not eligible but are invited to apply to our SEAP program
The internship has a duration of ten weeks (with the possibility of extending up to four additional weeks). Stipend levels will be determined by the student's years of participation in the NREIP program. Stipends will be paid bi-weekly via direct deposit. Stipends are as follows:
- New undergraduate student participants: $7,500
- Returning undergraduate students (students MUST have completed a full 10-week program in a prior year to receive this level): $9,000
- Graduate students (students must currently be in graduate school and taking graduate school courses to receive this level): $11,500
- Encourage students to pursue DON science and engineering careers
- Enhance education with mentoring by laboratory scientists and engineers
- Enable students to participate in meaningful STEM research
- Expose students to DON science & technology and research & development opportunities
- Increase DON STEM internship opportunities for underrepresented groups